OK, so feel like I've joined some elite group or something, just ripped my first Sweater in the name of math. Well cardigan if you want to get picky but think the same saying applies!
It all started with me making a cardigan called Brompton. Beautiful. Was given some old 100% acrylic in a flesh colour (Would be a photo here but yarn doesn't come out hardly at all again a cream carpet with my crappy camera phone pictures). Would look Quite vintage and delicate because of the brushed effect of the yarn. Went up a needle size as i always do to get the right gauge. Although seeing 18x22 gauge assumed it was an error. NO WAY CAN YOU GET THAT GAUGE ON THEM NEEDLES!
So next, in a completely unrelated incident, i join a Ravelry Group called Body Doubles. The idea being to get advice and pattern ideas from people with a similar shape to you. And so I actually measured myself. First time. Wasn't happy with the result. But that's another story.
So here we are.... Had 62 stitches on the arm, and by my calculation needed 76 to fit with 2 inch spare, and with only 90 stitches on the back at this point, meaning 104 at the point of taking the arms off, it didn't have a snowballs chance in HELL of getting round my boobs (estimated 122 stitches) The gauge was right. I was wrong. I've knit 1.5 balls already by this point. DOH! So I ripped it. Better now than later.
The moral of the story.... Math matters. And never assume, check!
So another potential stumbling block, yarn i am using is 40g balls not 50g. Pattern calls for 9, I have 10. And no-where is there mentioned yardage on the ball, and i can't find it listed mentioned or otherwise anywhere. Already decided, because i actually prefer them, I want 3/4 length sleeves, but shall keep you updated on that one.
Have now started again, safe in the knowledge it will go round my boobs. just got to work out the waist shaping. And pray to the knitting gods about my yardage.
Got more news, this time about a Surprise KAL. But more about that another time.
TTFN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment